ProActive Training Solutions - Experts in Training & Performance Improvement

Welcome!

Categories

instructional design
powered by

My Blog

Break It Down

Have you ever taken a dance lesson?  or tried to learn how to play an instrument?  When you see or hear the experts dancing or playing, a common response is "I could never to do that. It seems so complex and seems to take years of practice and probably requires some skill one needs to be born with."  But that's not necessarily true.

Dance teachers always start with the basics and once students are comfortable, move on. Most training professionals know that learning something new is nothing more than learning how to break a seemingly complex task down into small, comprehensible steps and building in tons of practice.  Then, when learners are comfortable with the basics, add on another level of information.

As a trainer and technical writer (and dancer), this is a mantra for me, especially when I am learning new and often complex content.  I don't get overwhelmed. Instead, I work with the experts to repeat, decipher, explain differently the information they know until it makes sense to me.  Then I put myself in the shoes of the learner to help me decide how to translate, simplify and  "chunk" the information, as well as where to build in a practice.

My firm belief is that anything can be learned, assuming (the trainer) has access to experts, knows how to ask good questions, and most importantly, can break it down, allowing learners to learn.

25 Comments to Break It Down:

Comments RSS
sportweten24h.weebly.com/ on Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:18 AM
Entwicklungen nicht gewaehrleistet . http://sportweten24h.weebly.com/ ( Die groesseren Online-Spiele engagieren mehr wahrscheinlich Sie werden um 50% Gewinner und 50% Verlierer.

Wette Sportwetten on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:46 PM
Eigentlich , Internet kann ein big Teil a etwa $ 200 Markt das ist schon Verschieben der Umfang waehrend des Spielens ueber die komplette planet bedenkt, dass entstanden.Aber wenn Ihr Streifen weiter , du bist jetzt 220 $ vom Luecke.

Online Pferdewetten on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:38 PM
Gerade merken a single vital Thema auf alles bis schliesslich dass cash in Ihre / Konto dann die fett Garantien hergestellt ueber die Beratung Anbieter speziell , dass genau. Es gibt verschiedene Komponenten wobei als wie Wette Branchenexperten viel der Arbeit fuer Sie

Dane Kennedy on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:05 AM
thanks

essay writer uk on Friday, September 7, 2018 3:31 AM
From a while I have been taking the special classes of dancing and now I have got perfection on my moves. In the starting period I have to face many problems but now I am really getting over them easily.

uk custom essay on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:52 AM
I totally agree with you that everything can be learned. Base on my personal experience, when I was a kid, I do not know how to draw anything even a simple tree or a house. So what I did is that I always ask help with my father to draw something for me. But then, at the back of my head, I always wanted to draw something with my own hands so that I can visualize and draw what I always imagined. The eagerness of me wanting to draw something helps me in learning how to draw and now, I can draw better and paint. People around me usually associate me as an artist. You see, if we really want something to happen, it will. We just need to be passionate about it.

aubestsessays.com/ on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:25 PM
I guess I am too old for these lessons. Maybe I am wrong. I need to think about it.

jemi on Saturday, May 11, 2019 5:30 AM
Ace4sure is the website that deals in preparation material for the exam for many years. According to my exposure and research, this is the right platform where you can get exact Marketing-Cloud-Email-Specialist exam dumps.

q on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:00 AM
qq

essay shark on Monday, May 20, 2019 3:59 AM
Breaking down the big problem into small makes the things better because when you finally solve the small one or piece of it you can just continue doing it until you solve all the problems. I am also a dancer, singer and performer right now; I study every technique step by step or little by little until I master it and afterward I am moving forward on another technique that can really help me. This attitude makes me a good dancer and singer just keep doing and practicing.

Fortnite Battle pass on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:19 AM
Play Fortnite Battle Royale on the go

pixel car racer hacks on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:21 AM
Once you have mastered how to play this game, you will of course know the course and understand the very important procedures of this game4 before you can really understand it.

Frank K. McGrath on Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:32 AM
A right and timely communication mean a stitch in time saves the whole organization. A good leader must not shy from difficult conversations with the staff and the clients For More Information .

Nondual Therapist on Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:31 AM
I found it very fascinating and compelling blog to read.

how to write a dissertation introduction on Friday, November 29, 2019 5:40 AM
Yeah, me an my wife took dance lessons together 2 years ago at the local community recreation center.. It was an introduction to ballroom dance.

Travel Deals & Packages on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:04 AM
A really interesting blog !!

wortlaut-translations on Monday, December 30, 2019 7:37 AM
The no doubt the best bolstered situation of the standard preparing is that it builds up the social correspondence of the understudy instead of being constrained in just sitting before the PC online way. Along these lines, it stores up the conviction of the understudy.

dissertation abstract help on Thursday, January 2, 2020 5:22 AM
Hi! I'm also a trainer too. I work at university as a professor. I'm helping students with their writing problems.

dissertation results writing on Monday, January 6, 2020 5:21 AM
I believe that we can learn everything - playing an instrument, dancing like a star, singing. But we often forget it. Your post inspired me on playing ukulele. Thanks! I will definitely share the result here.

Target Discount code on Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:32 AM
We are a leading department store. They bring Active target promo codes and target coupon codes for their customers. You can use an active target discount code for maximum saving. At the time of buying clothes, Electronic, kitchen & dining, baby care, Furniture, Beauty, Health, and also for Grocery products.

Best Tour Deals on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:59 AM
Quite compelling.

Tejar.pk on Monday, January 20, 2020 3:24 AM
This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging

Norton antivirus on Monday, January 27, 2020 5:47 AM
Norton 360 protects your all devices from malware, spyware, ransomware, and also from other online threats. Powerful and Popular brand which gives you multilayer protection, online privacy and many more. They store your data and make it safe from hackers. Norton is the new generation protection software and recently update plans. For more information please check our website and protect your home and business devices.

dissertation literature review writers on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 5:42 AM
You are completely right that most training professionals know that learning something new is nothing more than learning how to break a seemingly complex task down into small.

Useless Websites on Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:49 AM